Saturday, March 04, 2006

Eragon

A little while ago I finally finished reading Christopher Paolini's Eragon, the first book in his Inheritance trilogy. ('Finally' because my life has taken this sad, sad turn - all I seem to do these days is work at editing some manuscript or the other, or travel in filthy DTC buses to get to work ... the good old days when I was actually reading, and a lot, appear to have gone on vacation. It took me three months to finish Eragon, and most of my reading was done on said DTC buses - when I was lucky enough to get a seat, that is!) I'd heard so much about the book - and the author, who's almost a child prodigy - he's 21 now, but was only 15 when he began writing the book, and was 19 when it took off. I have to say, though, that I was quite pleased with it.

Despite the fact that this is purely conventional fantasy - Eragon smacks heavily of Tolkien and, in a far more obvious manner, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series (which itself owes a lot to Tolkien's LOTR), and sticks to the structure of the traditional fantasy tale (a world that might or might not be our own, rules that are different, yet strangely familiar, an endearing hero who is uprooted from a regular life to find that he has hitherto unplumbed depths of courage and nobility within him, battles, monsters and, ultimately, at the heart of it all, the age-old fight between good and evil), Eragon works. This is mostly thanks to Paolini's imagination, continually creates new situations and characters to capture our own, the fact that he is rather a good story-teller, and because he has discovered what appeals to people - believable characters who hold our interest, who can endear themselves to us, and who we can, at some level, identify with.

Eragon is about a farm boy who discovers a dragon egg purely by accident, and ends up becoming a Dragon Rider - the mythic warriors of yore who were defeated by the rogue Rider Galbatorix, who, having crowned himself king, now unleashes his cruel regime over most of the land. Helped by the mysterious Brom, Eragon sets out on a journey that is as much about finding himself as it is about discovering his destiny. In the gripping, taut narrative, what stands out - a stroke of genius on Paolini's part - is the relationship between Eragon and his dragon Saphira. Their growing love, trust and respect for each other, mutual dependence, and complete synchronicity of thought and action is portrayed quite remarkably.

Nevertheless, the fact that Christopher Paolini was just a teenager when he wrote the book is quite apparent - in the way he can't quite resist showing off his certainly commendable vocabulary, in the almost textbook quality of his treatment of grief and love, especially the latter (you can't help being reminded of the fact that Eragon's creator is not much older than the character himself), and in the fact that he doesn't deviate from the tried and tested fantasy novel formula that has contributed to the success of several writers before him. Despite this, however, it is not too hard to see why Eragon rivalled Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - Eragon is entirely believable, romanticising as he does, the qualities of loyalty, nobility, courage, endurance and determination. How many of us haven't yearned for an event that would somehow change our lives, set us apart from the rest of the world and make us heroes, not because we belong to some magical world that we will in all probability not be privy to, but because we embody values that are fast becoming anachronistic?


Is Eragon a great piece of fantasy fiction? No. But is it a good, interesting read that manages to stay with you for at least a while after you're done reading? Yes, it is. Now I can't wait to read the sequel, Eldest.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone once told me about Eragon that there has to be something more compelling about a book than the fact that it was written by a teenager! Perhaps it's slightly harsh judgement. I never got too far into the book, finding just too many similarities with Robert Jordan, right from the story and various incidents to the strange creatures.

That said, I am the last person who should be getting judgemental about picking up ideas from Jordan! ;-)

A very cool cat said...

Yes, I think that judgement was slightly harsh! As I said, the fact that Paolini's very young comes through - but it's a good read, provided you're not expecting great things of him.

And yes, the whole referential thing's a bit much - take the monsters, for instance. There's a continuum - Orcs - Trollocs - Urgals / The nine Lords - Myrdrals - Shades / Sauron - the evil one in Jordan / Galbatorix. You, on the other hand, have been far more original! :)

Unknown said...

Simple question: Do you have Eragon?

A very cool cat said...

Answer: Yep.

Swetank Gupta said...

Ah! First time on your blog and a post I'd like to comment upon for sure, after going through some very interesting posts, including the review on RDB. One thing I must say is that you come across as a person with very strong opinions.

Now about the book. First thing. Loved the book completely. No issues about that. As you very rightly said, it stayed with me for sometime after reading it and one of the highlights of the book was the relationship between Eragon and Saphira, which grows very remarkably in Eldest, though with it's shares of ups and downs.

You say that the fact that the book has been written by a teenager is very obvious at places and in the treatment of the book. I had an opinion that is quite the opposite. I cannot talk of Robert Jordan since I haven't read any, but I found more similarities between Harry Potters and LOTR than between Eragon & Eldest and LOTR, except for the basic storyline, the fight of good vs evil and the presence of humans, dwarves, elves, urgals and other fancy species.

My perception was, that even if it is inspired by a lot of earlier books, the sheer scope that Paolini deals in, does not speak of it being written by a 15 year old. Fine, the story must have grown with him, and matured, but he must have planned that it's going to be a trilogy, and the basic ingredients had to be there at the time of inception. The coherence in the story, the regular dropping of hints that are duly picked up at just the right time in both Eragon and Eldest is both commendable and unsettling.

Also, if you move on to Eldest, his treatment of the relationship between SAphira and Eragon, Eragon and Arya, Nasuada and Orrin, the power politics, the religious beliefs, the desperations of teenage, the philosophy of magic is beautiful. It's not as if he's written about them infallibly, or it's the most perfect thing, but for a teenager to comprehend that such issues will exist, esp where the hierarchy of power at every level is concerned, to deal with it and drop hints otherwise, speaks volumes. These make sense when you read it but to conceive them at the first place for one so young appears somewhat doubtful.

I recall reading that the book has been edited by his parents, if I'm not mistaken. SO, after reading, I felt that maybe it was to launch Christopher as a writer that this book bears hid name, but has actually been conceived by someone else, possibly his parents. I don't know, it's just a thought, and one that takes away all the credit from Paolini. If he were to start the book today, I wouldn't doubt him, but 15 is too young a age to not imagine, but express that imagination thus. Maybe I'm being too conservative in my judgement of him and doing him a great injustice as a result, but that's what I felt.

Before I end, you've got a great blog. It's so good to read something that betrays a lot of conviction and you feel that the writer knows what he/she's talking about. Shall come back for more.

Take care.

A very cool cat said...

Hi Swetank - thank you so much, both for visitng my blog, and for your comment! I should thank you especically for the nice things you said about my blog - much needed, as my latest post will tell you! :P

I've read Eldest too, but found it less engrossing that Eragon, actually. Eragon's stay in Du Weldenwarden is way too rambling, and the I had guessed a lot of the surprise twists the ending offered - am not mentioning them, of course, for the benefit of visitors who haven't read the books. But you are right when you say that one of the best things is the relationship between Eragon and Saphira - she is a wonderful character, easily my favourite. But I still stick to my opinion that his extreme youth comes through - and you cannot deny that he endlessly derivative. The Razac and their mounts, for instance, are carbon copies of Tolkein's Nazgul, even down to their screams! Du Weldenwarden is Lothlorien all over again. And as for the politics - if you'd read Jordan, you'd have found eerie similarities. I don't think, though, that his parents wrote the book for him - I do believe it's his own effort. And nowhere am I saying that he's not intelligent or talented - I just wish he'd come into his own, experiment, and be a tad more original rather than stick to the conventional fantasy structure, and the great writers.

But I'm still waiting eagerly for book 3! Perhaps in that he can recapture some of that taut tension that so marked Eragon, but was somewhat missing in Eldest. And thanks again - glad you enjoyed my blog. Look forward to more comments! :)

Anonymous said...

i completely agree with the similarities between RoJo and Paolini. I was reading Eye of the World at the same time as Eragon (both for the first time and probably not a good idea) I actually became quite confused as to which events were happening to which characters since the plots and certain details are so similar (*cough brom vs. thom etc.) I'm glad I'm not the only person who sees similarities to RoJo (most others just see LotR and SW) and also that I'm not the only one who sees that he "can't quite resist showing off his [...] vocabulary." As for his being young, I've read books by thirteen year olds (Amelia Atwater-Rhodes's In The Forrests of the Night) that I feel were better thought out (mind you, ItFotN is not epic fantasy), however, the author does a good job at world building and has since written another half dozen books, she's about 23 or so.

A very cool cat said...

Hi - and thanks so much for your comment! Apologies for having taken so long in putting it up and responding, but for various reasons I couldn't find the time to be around my blog. I agree with you completely, needless to say - and hey, thanks a lot for letting me know of a new author!

However, could you please give me your name the next time (and I hope there will be a next time!) you comment? It's because I've been getting tons of spam lately, and they're all marked 'anonymous' - so these days I'm deleting anything with an anonymous tag without opening it. I don't want to miss a bona fide comment, though!

Anonymous said...

I've read both Eragon and Eldest and I've loved both. I think Paolini's a great author (even though there's a lot similar ideas by other authors). When I start his book, I just can't put it down. I'm running out of authors to read from. Do you think you could name a few and what they write? Thanks!_!

A very cool cat said...

Hello, Nia, and thank you for your comment. When you say 'other authors', do you mean authors who write fantasy literature, or authors in general? As far as fantasy literature goes, the books I read are by Ursula le Guin, Anne MacCaffrey, Terry Pratchett, Robert Jordan, Philip Pullman, Robert Holdstock, C.S. Lewis, Trudi Canavan - I believe Tamora Pierce is very good, too, though I haven't read her yet. And I'm sure you must have already read the more obvious authors - like Tolkein and J.K. Rowling. I'm always on the lookout for good fantasy literature myself, so if you've read authors apart from these guys, so let me know!

I also reviewed Eragon the film - read that post, too, if you have the time.