Saturday, August 04, 2007


Political (In)correctness?

This is going to be yet another complaint about one of my pet peeves – if people, even those view other, overweight, people with disdain, can refrain from commenting on their appearance (either because it’s not politically correct to hurt a fat person’s feelings by calling her/him ‘fat’, or for some other reason known best to themselves), why can they not extend the same courtesy to those others who happen to be (un)fortunate enough to be slender? As a slender person, I’m often the target of remarks that are at times downright rude; most of these come from people who don’t even know me, yet have absolutely no qualms in making presumptuous statements that they would otherwise cringe from making in polite society. So what is it about slenderness that makes rudeness acceptable? Are our feelings supposed to be as non-existent as the amount of excess fat we (don’t) carry?

I first heard this sentiment being voiced aloud by a young woman in her early twenties some seven years back – I was volunteering with a help-line in those days, along with a bunch of other people of all ages and from all professions. This poor woman, being stick-thin and rather fragile looking, found herself bombarded with remarks from people she had just met, statements ranging from the relatively innocuous ‘Oh boy, are you thin!’ to the pathetic ‘joke’ – ‘I bet you don’t try venturing out in a storm – a gust of wind would carry you away’ – accompanied with sniggers; to others who kindly took it upon themselves to apprise her of the dangers of being underweight. She lost patience after a couple of days and her furious ‘You know, thin people have feelings too’ finally put an end to the audible remarks. This is exactly what happens to me – I’m constantly told at dinners, lunches, etc., that I surely won’t be eating as obviously I’m on a diet; at the gym I’m asked why I even bother to come, since I obviously don’t need to exercise – and by the way, do I eat at all?; an ex-boss made a derogatory comment on the way I dress and later, at an official dinner, passed snide remarks concerning my refusal to order dessert (and that was only because I had stuffed myself with a pasta with cheese sauce, and everyone knows that cheese – see what these constant remarks have done to me? I can’t stop being on the defensive even in my own blog!)

Not that all people are kind to all their overweight fellow humans – as a plump teenager, my cousins made me the butt of ridicule and cruel jokes that added considerably to my pre-pubertal and teenage angst; and an outraged plump friend told us recently how tired she was of her colleagues’ remarks about her weight and their advice to hit the gym at the earliest, because how could she survive in the ‘marriage market’ unless she was thin? And I know full well all the dangers associated with the pressure to lose weight and conform to the stereotypical norm of female beauty – but this post is not about that. I’m genuinely perplexed as to why people, who know full well how ill-mannered it is to make personal remarks, relax that rule when talking about a slim person’s appearance. Why would they do that? What makes them think they immediately know what my eating habits and personal obsessions are – and why do they presume I’d welcome a conversation on the same? My husband says it’s because most of these busybodies, being overweight themselves, are jealous, and that may well be the case – but what of the slim ones who do the same? Why are most people unable to feel good about themselves unless they’re running someone else down?

I don’t go around commenting on people’s appearances – if I’ve ever asked a plump friend to visit the gym, it’s been out of concern – being overweight is not a good idea not because it’s not cool, but because it can lead to various health-related issues. So if I can behave myself, I don’t see why others can’t. And I’ve decided to stop being polite and make equally rude remarks in return – and I would really love some suggestions, so please, everyone, pitch in with your ideas!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

The odds are that the people commenting about your 'peakiness' are considerably more physically heavyweight than you are. (The ones who comment upon my not having a paunch are those who cart around a cantaloupe.) So do what I do: tell them that you are, in fact, blessed with hypermetabolism, and can eat as much of whatever it is that your heart desires and not ever have to worry about the consequences. Ever. In all your life. Whatever you scarf, in the most enormous abundance. That should shut them up.

And you're right: while it's true that there is a great deal of fatism around, it's equally true that thin people last longer and have a better quality of life than the adipose. What's also true, even if it sounds discourteous, is that we despatch fewer of the world's already scarce resources and with far less dispatch.

There's that possibly apocryphal story about G K Chesterton, bursting at the seams, meeting George Bernard Shaw, thin as celery, on a one-way bridge; and each refusing to give way. They sized each other up. Then Chesterton said, "Well, you look like you've just returned from a famine." "And you," said Shaw, "look like you're the cause of it."

Thinking Cramps said...

My brother faces this all the time. And he feels exactly what you say. Why is it okay to make fun of thin people but not of fat ones? It's this societal pressure to be 'in shape' that makes people view all slim/skinny/thin people with veiled (?) jealousy and so prompts these comments. "I'm overweight, how dare she flaunt her thin-ness?" and so they will urge you not to diet etc. Basically they feel that since you are in your heart of hearts happy to be this way, you can take any criticism on your appearance.

Next time just hit them with "Actually, I eat a LOT, and don't you think I'm lucky I can put it away where it doesn't show???" And then ask for a double cheese topping with whatever it is you're eating!!!!

A very cool cat said...

Kajal - LOL! Loved that Chesterton/Shaw anecdote. And yes, I know you have the same problem too - honestly, I wish there could be a law against petty remarks!

Anamika - All my sympathies for your brother - I think people like us ought to from a group or something, preferably a militant one! :D
And since you know I can put away quite a bit, that statement won't be a lie - and the double cheese topping sounds great!

Thinking Cramps said...

LOL, Pro! If you all form an army you really will literally be the lean, mean, fighting machines!

Afivesecondsbloghopperturnedblogger said...

Welll Pro i dont know how anyone can direct those comments at you. you are slender but quite substanital, cant even imagine you being blown over by the wind! its a bit of pettiness and a bit of niceness and a bit of other nesses that makes this world the place it is. If everyone were sweet we would all have diabetes.... one just learns not to be affected... i am still trying to learn... i began trying cause i realised reacting to other petty people realy harms noone but me..

Anonymous said...

I've faced both sides of the sword. As a plump teenager who was unfortunate to have siblings who were not only trimmer but also good looking, I had to face the constant "Do you eat your brother's and sister's share too?" Now that I've lost the puppy fat (thanks to a natural process combined with healthier eating and regular exercise), I'm told that "flesh in the right places" is desirable. Not that this trimmer me is a result of the barrage of rude comments I had to tolerate, esp when they came from relatives and older people who I could not be rude to. I often wonder whether all those people said all that they did because the vaccuum between their ears did not allow them to see anything beyond my girth or the lack of it. Or that the only way for them to add some zing to their ridiculously pathetic lives was to run me down. O, this is a rant to supplement yours!!!

Kajal, thanks for the anecdote.
Anamika, I'd never noticed that Arunoday was 'thin'. Perhaps my eyes have given way finally!!!

Are we signing up for membership now?

A very cool cat said...

Anamika - lol, yes, we would be quite the gang! :P

Afivesecondsbloghopper - thanks for the compliment! :) You know, if more people were as sensible as you, the world would be a better place, and we wouldn't be having this discussion! But you're right, it is little other than pettiness on the part of insecure people, and rather than get mad at them, we should perhaps feel sorry for them, what say?

Vinny - hey, I didn't know you went through the whole crap of being a plump teenager and facing nasty remarks from family members! Something else we have in common, then - we never seem to win, do we? And those comments we endured perhaps did have more to do with their lack of brains or anything resembling a life - I derive intense satisfaction when I see how fat those very people have got now!

And yes, let's form our gang. Right now.

Reema said...

You didn't invite me to read this post, but I found it very moving. And let me confess that I'm guilty of the rudeness you are protesting against during my teenage years. As for the "reason" for rudeness, I didn't really think I was being rude. Isn't it desirable to be thin? Therefore every insult is actually a compliment? Well, that's what I thought for quite a few years. So by being rude, I was actually being nice! And funny. Believe me, I sincerely felt that my "thin" best friend enjoyed my insults.

A very cool cat said...

Hi again Reema, and thanks again for this comment! You're most welcome to read any post you want - in fact, I'd love to have you as a regular visitor. :)

You know, I always say it's never so much what you say as the way you say it that makes all the difference. I'm sure when you spoke to your friends, they knew you weren't speaking out of jealousy, or out of a desire to wound. And that brings me to the second point - you said what you did to your friends, people you're close to, who know you, and therefore know what you mean when you say something. Also, we do reserve the right to say things to close friends - but what I've been objecting to are the random remarks thrown my way by complete strangers, or mere acquaintances who certainly have to right to do so! And some of their comments were delivered in downright offensive tones, too - and yet, I asked them to shut up, I'd be the one labelled 'rude'!

Shantanu Dhankar said...

Exactly how thin are you?? AI'm pretty thin myself,so thin that i can see see my veins!! I have not been a victim of the taunts though but somehow very proud of being thin. I have this abominable little fab on my waist(blame it on the pizzas!!)and i'm desperate to get my perfect 'Figure' back!!

Jokes apart,If some people keep their thoughts to themselves, world would perhaps be a better(and a quieter) place to live in.

Reema said...

That certainly opens my eyes to a social reality i failed to notice. Thanks for that! I'm sure i'll notice next time I hear some such comment hurled at somethinone in my presence.
As you said, I definitely never comment on the appearance of a stranger or acquaintance, thin, fat, bald or crooked teeth.
Somehow, this brings to mind rude comments about being super-rich to some kids at school. Anything they bought- from a pen to a sock--would be duly scrutinised. If they answered back, they would not only be thought rude but also "showing off" their wealth. And if someone stuck up for them, he/she would be labelled a sychophant.

A very cool cat said...

Shantanu, I'm not exactly skinny, as my friend afivesecondsbloghopper pointed out! But anyone who's not 'healthy' in the north Indian sense of the term immediately gets labelled 'thin', and along come the remarks!

That bit about rich kids coming in for flak was interesting, Reema, though we never did have that sort of thing happening at my school. But in this day and age, when money and materialism rules, it's probably the reverse that's going on in schools - people who don't have enough are most likely getting ridiculed. We often read about young children's addiction to all things branded and expensive in various papers and magazines.

Anonymous said...

For the record, I can vouch that you will never skip dessert if you can help it, and you have never done so in my presence! ;-)