Thursday, December 18, 2008

Mumbai – the aftermath


Three days ago, K and I went to pick up my aunts, who were arriving at Kolkata on an evening flight for a visit, at the airport. Having reached early for a flight that was to eventually land late, we ensconced ourselves on the battered seats outside with cups of that peculiarly plasticky coffee that one usually finds at kiosks at airports and railway stations to warm ourselves up on a (finally!) chilly evening. While sipping at the coffee, talking, and watching people, I became aware of a niggling feeling, which eventually grew strong enough to encroach on the conscious, thinking part of my brain – a feeling that can only be described as jittery. Or nervousness, perhaps. A couple of minutes' reflection led me to the surprising conclusion that I was nervous at being in an exposed, public space, surrounded by innumerable strangers, any of whom could, at any given moment, transform himself/herself into either an exploding device or – that loaded word – a terrorist. The fact that security – or what passed for it – was virtually absent at the airport didn’t help.


I soon made K get up and we made our way inside the terminal, to the arrival lounge – I had this irrational feeling that I would feel ‘safer’ inside. Stupid idea, really, because one is more trapped indoors in the event of an attack than one is in the great big outdoors; and strange, considering that agoraphobia isn’t something I’ve ever encountered. Once inside, though, sanity returned – to an extent – and my feeling of astonishment. I’ve been in Delhi when blasts took place, most notably at Sarojini Nagar, where I was often to be found – and I was never nervous on any of the subsequent occasions that I shopped there. Nor have I ever been jittery or fearful in any well-lit public place with lots of people before – before the Mumbai attacks, I guess. What surprised me was that I should be feeling this way – I mean, I was far removed from the Mumbai attacks, both in terms of geographical distance, and the fact that no one I knew was directly affected by them – so why should I, a reasonably rational, intelligent person living in an entirely different city altogether, suddenly look at perfectly harmless (in a manner of speaking) strangers askance, while nervous thoughts like – ‘Does that young man have weapons in that huge rucksack?’ ‘Why did that man refuse to move one seat away and allow those women to sit together? Is there any reason why he needs that seat?’ – flitted though my head? Is this merely another manifestation of the mass hysteria, mostly orchestrated by certain sections of the media, which continues relentlessly, and to which I have unwittingly been exposed; or is this because in a world where terrorist attacks have become commonplace, security of our own being, taken so blithely for granted, have become yet another casualty? Is fear now to be part of us?


I am against witch hunts, draconian laws made in the name of national security, and the targeting of certain members of society just because they have been born into a particular religion. I can explain my fears, deal with them. But what will happen when very many others, believing in the constantly hammered message that ‘we are not safe’, demand ‘action’ (as very many already have) to quell those fears?

6 comments:

Shantanu Dhankar said...

I guess your pretty much speaks of what all of us are going through - a total disbelief in our systems and paranoia, It was barely a week before the mumbai attacks I travelled to another country but still from a large distance I could feel the shock waves - If a place of great economical significance such as south mumbai is not safe, then what will happen to my humble neighbourhood? but on second thoughts, Isn't that what the perpeterators finally wanted to acheive - fear and disbelief?

COMPOS MENTIS said...

your words echo my thoughts. in fact twice while walking down the road near my house recently, i have in the stupidest fashion possible looked around suspiciously, gripped by the sudden thought that i might not reach home. groups of young men at a roadside tea stall never made me feel uncomfortable ever before. and i knew that i was being silly but for a split second i was a victim of my own irrational fear.if this is what we understand by 'aftermath', if this is an average indian's psychological reaction to what has happened in mumbai, what with barkha dutt rubbing in the fact that quite a few affected in the taj massacre were probably just having a simple meal when their lives did a volte face, i don't know when i will really recover.

A very cool cat said...

Thanks, you guys, for your responses - glad to know you understand, and gladder to know I'm not the only paranoid one around.

You know, I'm actually pleased at this point in time that I live in, as Shantanu said, 'a humble neighbourhood' - I mean, why would anyone want to target a dodgy north Cal neighbourhood where the lives and bodies (to paraphrase Judith Butler) of people don't really matter? That, of course, hasn't stopped me from having nightmares, in which I hear the name of my neighbourhood being yelled out by wild TV anchors, gripping me with panic for the people I love most. And yes, compos mentis, I don't think this madness will be leaving us anytime soon.

As for what terrorists 'want' - who knows, really? We can profile them as much as we want, but at the end of the day, all we are doing is attributing to them motives that we hope they had, motives that can help us de-mythologise them and - I suppose - 'move on'.

ambrosia said...

Hey Cool Cat, I could identify with the sentiments you have expressed.... to the extent I day dream about being caught in situations with madmen firing all around me. These are real tough testing times for humanity as a whole is what I feel. I wish each and every person at this moment on earth would act responsibly - journalists, politicians, bureaucrats, common people.... is that too much to expect.... and who will guide toward what it means to be responsible.... This is a time for looking within, for introspection, for silencing the part of the mind that instigates selfishness, derivation of cheap thrills, sensationalism, hatred, jingoism.... Perhaps it is too early for humankind as a whole to go through this process of introspection.... post the attacks, we already see many devils at work trying to "cash" the situation. While not putting a name and face to these enemies of life, I keep wondering how will the situation be tackled? In a responsible manner.

Anonymous said...

I flew from Bangalore to Delhi on 6th December (!) and despite all the announcements that both airports would be on high alert, it was both eerie and frightening to see that nothing was any different. And, really, the no-baggage-X-ray thing (why is it an international standard?) does scare me. I know that booked baggage is X-rayed later on, but I preferred the good old days when we had to have it done before checking in. (On my way back, though, I did have to get my bags X-rayed in Delhi airport.)

The one incident that really unnerved me was on my way back a week later. I'd been distracted and forgot to remove my Swiss Army knife from my backpack, which I take as hand baggage. Of course, I was "caught", but they only confiscated the knife part of it. I had scissors,a four-sided screwdriver, a pen that I think can be used as a weapon if one puts one's mind to it...

A very cool cat said...

Ambrosia, good to have you back! And thanks - I agree, responsibility is the key, but seriously, in this day and age, I do think it is perhaps too much to ask for.

Thanks, Payal, and what is this about baggage not being X-rayed before check-in? The last time I took a flight - and admittedly that was a year ago - the usual practice to X-raying bags was being followed. Why have they stopped that? But my aunt said that there were layers of security at Delhi airport when they flew in - and she also said that the personnel were very efficient. I guess they have their moments!

Security arrangements at Cal airport, however, are virtually absent - there was a big dog wandering around sniffing at everyone whose presence reassured me more than the few weedy or potbellied guys carrying ancient guns - till I saw the dog wagging his tail in a very friendly fashion at everyone he met! :D