Thursday, February 26, 2009

Lance that freedom

There's a new four-letter word currently doing the rounds in my life - an 'f' word at that - 'freelancer'. I first realised just how scurrilous a word it can be when, from the respectable confines of a 9-5 job, I joined the despised ranks of those who 'work on their own', the people who spend all day 'just chilling', the freelancers. My responses to the question 'But why are you not looking for a JOB'? - that I really needed my own space, away from stifling and nonsensical office rules; that I was tired of battling office politics and never getting anywhere or doing what I wanted to do because I could never be what higher-ups wanted me to be; that, on a less sombre note, I really hate waking up early in the mornings - cut no ice with well-wishers who were firmly convinced that I was 'too young' to take such a step, that I was throwing my life away.

Two years after I took the decision to 'throw my life away', I find it's working out pretty well, at least as far as the quantum of work and the issues of space and freedom are concerned. Where it's not working out, however - and other freelancers will no doubt know exactly what I mean - is in the total lack of respect I am accorded by the very people who think I am 'mature and experienced' enough to be trusted with 'very important' projects. And this lack of respect, this invisibility, comes only because I work on my own, without the imposing edifice of an organisation to 'have my back', as the Americans would say. Had I been doing sub-standard work, but from within a cubicle, I'd have mattered more.

Why are people so reluctant to embrace the idea that options that are a tad different from the run-of-the-mill definitions of what constitutes 'work', 'success', and 'professional' are just as real? Why can people not appreciate that even without a desk job, I am just as professional - if not more - than the people who give me orders from the air-conditioned confines of their office spaces? And that that professionalism deserves the respect and courtesy that would be due any of their colleagues with office spaces similar to their own? That when they have no problem flattering me with talk of how 'valued' I am, how needed, when there's a dodgy project they need to palm off to someone whom they can subsequently blame if something goes awry, they shouldn't have any problem saying a simple 'thank you' when I turn in work that is of decidedly high quality?

Since beginning my career as freelancer, I've realised that people don't value risk-taking, independence and discipline, all of which form an integral part of a freelancer's life. That my work is not considered 'work' because I do it from home; that my work deserves absolutely no credit because I do it from home, on my own, in my time; that people actually feel it is absolutely all right to dismiss me as 'just chilling' (and this after I had spent time detailing some of the books and journal issues I had recently worked on; that person had no idea how close I came to punching that fat face in), take the credit for my work while giving me absolutely nothing in return; that so-called professionals think it's all right to renege on payments or, at the very least, be tardy about it, while having the gall to ask me why I wasn't prioritising their organisation when it came to accepting projects. (Here's one excuse that never fails to mystify me - 'I was too busy to pass your bill/reply to your email/send you the cheque'. Which category, pray, did my email/bill fall under, if not that of 'work'? Giggly timepass with bosom buddy??)

I've decided, though, that I am not going to let these people - well, most of the world, I guess - tell me how I should feel about myself and my work. I am bloody good at what I do, which is why these same people seek me out - and I am proud of my skill. I take immense pride in my work and my professionalism, and it's perhaps time to demand that respect that is my due. I work harder than a lot of people who sit around in offices collecting pay checks they never earned, and I am not going to allow people to say anything different.

As a friend once remarked, 'working on one's own does not mean sitting around eating potato chips and watching soap operas!' A truer statement has only rarely been uttered.

10 comments:

ambrosia said...

Every word you have written is true; I had to go back to the “cubicle” after 18 months of “freelancing”. Respect and fair dealing in money matters is a basic right that has to reclaimed from employers who take “freelancers” for granted. I want to wish you all the very best and lots of strength and positivity to stand up against the double standards of employers.

COMPOS MENTIS said...

i so agree with you that people find it extremely difficult to accept those who choose paths different than that of those who never seem to have the courage to think, let alone do things differently. u have chosen to do things your way. way to go girl! what i find particularly annoying is that people who work regularly from their office cubicles are so goddamn condescending towards those who don't and that too without reason.it is seriously their problem that they are ignorant about other ways of life. i only feel pity for them.why give away my chance at being condescending?

A very cool cat said...

Ambrosia, Compos mentis, thanks so much for your comments, and your support.

Ambrosia - you're back in an office? When did that happen? I remember the really cool projects you'd take on - and I remember telling Mukta how deeply envious I was of your being able to travel and meet interesting people during the course of your freelancing. But yes, you would have had ample opportunities to come across the attitude I've described. 'Double standards' is about right - and yet, they can't do without us, can they?

Compos mentis - Frankly, the only good thing about working in an office is the regular pay check at the end of the month. Other than that, there's sucking up to bosses; dealing with bitchy, gossipy colleagues; conforming to dumb rules made a couple of centuries ago; overwork - and these guys actually believe they can patronise the likes of me! It is laughable, really - when I can calm down enough to enjoy a few laughs, that is! :/

Unknown said...

Oi, be glad for big mercies! Living paycheque to wheezing and complaining paycheque is a pain, but we seem to be doing fine: no better liniment than freedom. Imagine not being able to catch an early morning show at Inox because you had to be in a sardine-can, CO2-loaded office at 9.30. Or not being able to sleep late. Or not having the time to read three or four hours a day, catching a good movie on WM, shooting the breeze. Where's the point in working eight hours a day, sleeping another eight and spending yet another eight preparing to work and sleep or scrub off the consequences of working and sleeping? It'll be a while before freetiming comes to India in a wave significant enough to change how society here looks at freebooters, freeloaders, freethinkers and freelancers and all-round free agents like us are given our due, but meanwhile it's good to be in the vanguard. As for those cribbers who offend you, tell them that ancient saw: Who says nothing is impossible? I've been doing nothing for years. A-N-D I L-O-V-E I-T.

Unknown said...

Also as the Americans would say: I hear you! Well, I've had over ten years of being a freelancer by profession, and -- while it does take time -- after a point clients do start to appreciate professionalism. I also have this sneaky suspicion that the poor 9-to-5-ers are consumed with jealousy of the kind of freedom we are able to command, and end up taking their frustrations out by being condescending.

Well, guess what: water off a duck's back! I *like* waking up at 11, and -- ha! -- I can give myself the day off whenever I want *and* not miss my deadline.

So maybe "freelancer" is a four-letter word out here (Oh, I've had people asking me: "Are you a freelancer or are you a professional?"!!!), but we do have a pretty great life. Fine, we may not be earning as much, but can we really put a price to our freedom? I couldn't, at least.

Oh, and guess what? We don't have to flip out about getting laid off either! ;-)

A very cool cat said...

Kajal and PD, you have really made my day! I knew you'd understand exactly what I was going on about.

K - I know, I'm not complaining about my freelancer status, only the way people react to it - and no, I wouldn't trade my freedom for anything now that I've developed a taste for it. I mean, could we actually be planning to catch movies back to back, spend long days at the book fair, and consider a trip in the middle of the week if we were cubicle slaves? But I still wish I didn't have to try harder to be taken seriously - I don't think half the people who ask me what I'm doing even realise I'm doing such a lot of important work!

PD - Lol - that's exactly what K and I were discussing - that during recessions, we're the ones who don't need to worry - freelancers will never not be needed! And I guess they can't really pay us any less that they do already, can they? :D And I like that bit about 9-5ers being jealous - it does explain a lot!!

Unknown said...

In fact, with the recession, people might be more and more open to outsourcing work to freelancers. After all, someone has to do the work they sack all the full-timers. ;-)

Poonam Tanmayo said...

Me thinks it takes balls to be a free lancer n live life unstructured n yet do what needs to be done, like keeping deadlines n delivering consistent quality work because you dont have the union to stand up for your sub-standard output

It takes spine to shrug off the shackles of being bonded to a regular paying job n have the confidence that you'll have not only bread n butter on the table but also strawberries in chocolate sauce at noon if it takes your fancy

Of course the establishment gets jealous because it makes a mockery of their limited unadventurous choices ... or lack of them
You have what they dont have ... the courage to go for what you really want n give yourself permission to do it.

When my little son hung out with the assorted firang sanyasin kids learning choicest of words in varied world languages, waiting to be 8 so he could go to the school of his-our choice ... I was told I was destroying his life, he'd be left behind

When he did go to this school in the Nilgiri forests n the older kids taught him maths n English from Roald Dahl books n they swam n climbed trees n rescued snakes n played music n computer games
.... I was told I was destroying his life

Unfortunately this "too cool to be a school" folded up for not so pretty reasons n my son chose to follow a friend to a Krishnamurti school where he was miserable n suppressed n soon became passive
... I told him he always had the freedom to leave
....n to which I was told that once again I would be destroying his life

He left, then tasted n loved a farm school in Panchgani n experienced once again a whole new world of fun n learning at his own pace n subjects of his own liking ... they skated n hiked, did street plays n passionately saved the environment, learnt how to open up a computer n put it back together again, looked after a pet horse n grew strawberries n jammed them n sold them to tourists...
but I was told I was destroying his life, he'd never fit in to normal society!

Once again, history repeated itself n the school closed down in a few years over unpretty issues

My son came to Pune, joined the best school option here ... a child oriented semi formal school
He chose to opt out of the regular SSC board n study for National Open School whereby he could choose his subjects n did not have the pressure of our regular schools
I was told, he was told, by the parents of his friends that I was destroying his life, he was destroying his life ... that having done NOS, which was for losers, he'd NEVER get into a decent college

My son took time adjusting to this Pune school n at one time even decided that he didn't want to study anymore. I reasoned with him n then let him be, sent him on a trip to Lakshadweep so he'd be experiencing something new
Having had the space, my son called me from his trip saying he felt he'd made a mistake by dropping out of school n could I please talk to the principal to take him back.
I refused to do his dirty work n said he needed to convince her himself. On his return I accompanied him n sat quietly while he tackled his principal with honesty n sense of purpose. She said she'd take him back if he studied for the exams he'd missed n pass them with flying colours within a month. He did the needful.

Later, he went on to join the best college in Pune, Fergusson. I was told, he was told we'd have to pay a minimum of 50 grand to get in, he said then he'd rather not go to college. He got in on his own merit.

A term through he fell in love with the German language n decided to wanted to really really learn it.
He took a year n half off from college to do all the possible levels of the language through Max Mueller n passed each level brilliantly ... AND had a great time doing what he wanted to do.

Having completed that, he wanted now to get back to mainstream college. No way is he going to get in, he's missed out, he's left behind, you've destroyed his life, his career prospects!!!!

He got in again easily into Fergussion College on a German merit, even got a scholarship. Today he's working towards studying linguistics in Germany. Meanwhile he's learning French, Russian, Persian ...
he loves languages

Once again we're told BUT WHAT IS THE USE OF LINGUISTICS? What will he do after that? What job will he get?!! He should do MBA.

We're constantly being told we're making the wrong choices for him because they're so out of the box n in some strange way threaten the established road to success as seen by the insecure of our world.

I believe following your heart is the way to go n that's what I've tried to impart to my child.
To live by your own choices, by your own intelligence, taking responsibility for yourself.
If this bothers other people then that is purely their problem.

My son has turned out to be a brilliant, intelligent, well-read, very well informed young man who knows far more of very varied subjects than his limited peers or teachers even. He never fails to amaze me.
He's appeared in Wall Street Journal, Sunday Times London, is a computer whiz, has a great sense of design, is a wonderful creative writer.....

I can go on, as all proud mothers do
BUT he's done it all in freedom, making risky choices in walking his own unbeaten path ...
freely ... making mistakes, taking stock n moving on.

I salute your choice Pro n Kaj because I truly understand the courage it takes to be a free lancer, to live your own life, to take time to actually live your own life. You rock !!

A very cool cat said...

PD - Lol, yeah, our thoughts exactly. I mean, the work has to be done, right?

Poonam - Wow. Thank you so, so much for that wonderful comment, and for sharing so much on my blog. I don't know if I'll ever have the courage to live by rules of my making to the extent that you have - and I so admire you for it. I've been told - by members of my family, and how it did hurt - and I've done nothing with my life when I could've done so much, and I have to admit, there are times when social conditioning takes over, and I start feeling the same. So posts such as yours, and K's, and my other friends come as a huge validation. I'd love to meet Smaran some day, he sounds really cool.

And sad to hear those lovely schools have shut down - when we have a child, K and I really don't want her to be part of mainstream education either. But we're not sure where she can go.

Poonam Tanmayo said...

Do you really want kid-s??
Its the biggest commitment there is
24 hours a day, 7 days a week non-stop
20 years n still ongoing....

I would suggest you really think about it
It totally changes the focus of your life,
the priorities