Thursday, April 01, 2010

Literary conundrum

For most of us, a few basic rules apply when it comes to people we choose to have in our lives - as an important part of the our lives, that is - we need to get along with them, trust them, be able to depend on them; a shared ideology often comes in handy; and we have to respect them, as individuals and humans beings. Now here's my question - does this apply to our relationship with fictional characters as well?

I say 'relationship' because for most of us avid readers, whose best friends are probably books rather than people, who have favourite genres, favourite authors, favourite fantasy worlds and characters, who return to the comfort of much-read books very like one would to an old memory - or an oversized, shabby, warm sweatshirt on winter nights - for us, characters are real and close and perhaps as dear to our hearts as real people we love. While growing up, I considered a lot of the Enid Blyton characters my friends, and then came my beloved Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple; I never tire of reading Alice's Adventures ... (which is probably why I'm a bit wary of watching the Tim Burton movie); and I still think when I'm upset - now how would Anne (of Green Gables) deal with this situation?

To come to the point now. On my recent visit to Delhi, I was introduced to more Scandinavian crime fiction writers by my aunt, who has an enviable collection - and among them were books by the duo Roslund-Hellstrom. Edgy, gritty, disturbing, the books leave you shaken. Unlike Sjowall and Wahloo, or Henning Mankell, who have clear notions of good and evil, these books have no definite moral compass; the whole point, as the authors say, is to show that the perpetrators are often as much victims as, well, the victims. I don't want to throw out any spoilers here, but in one of the books the two lead detectives do something that, to me, was totally reprehensible. Sitting and brooding over the book I'd just finished, I realised I was - disappointed in them. And that I didn't want to read any more - because how I can sit through books featuring characters I no longer had any respect for?

Martin Beck would never have done this, I told my aunt. Nor would Kurt Wallander, or even Inspector Rebus. Almost like they were real people, people to be emulated. Except they are, as far as I'm concerned. And now I no longer want to read otherwise good crime fiction because I'm disgusted at the conduct of the central characters. I don't respect them any more. Not the authors, the characters.

So. Is that weird? Or does anyone else feel that way?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I know what you mean, and I'm with you! I have felt "let down" by fictional friends, lost respect for them. Kay Scarpetta was one such person, though I can't remember why I stopped liking her.

Now for the spoiler bit... you'd better write me a mail and tell me exactly what happened, so I will do not end up buying the book!

Kitty said...

proteeti, the fun is in experiencing people who are Oh! so different from us or from those we relate to...Now I haven't read the book, but i am nevertheless piqued. send across the name of the book.

A very cool cat said...

Thanks, both of you! :) Good to know I'm not the only one.

PD - I've read very few of the Kay Scarpetta books - somehow they never appealed to me all that much. And as for telling you exactly what happened - I will do no such thing!! First, the story's too complicated, and second, I still think these are really good books that you should read and judge for yourself. Start with their first book, 'Beast'.

Kits - Yes, that is definitely the hallmark of a good, imaginative writer - their ability to transport us to another world (not necessarily a fantasy one), which is far removed from our own familiar one. These books are by the Swedish duo Roslund-Hellstrom, and like I told PD, begin with their first, 'Beast'. They're being published by Hachette India, and might not be available everywhere right away.

Unknown said...

Grr... *shake fist at*

Unknown said...

I think that somewhere along the line to discovering ourselves through our books, we find that the most rounded characters are not so different from ourselves - a hazy mosaic of infinite shades of grey. And that goes for those who solve, or resolve, the 'darkest' of crimes. For the most part, the best crime authors, I think, make us realise that "but for the grace of god", a highly moral detective - or a brace of highly moral detectives, which is highly unlikely since in real life, detectives are a bunch of noots - might have been a gratuitous killer. And it seems evident, from real life, again (which crime thrillers purport to emulate), that cops bend all sorts of rules to solve cases.

For me, fiction's good cop - which is not the same as an ethical cop - lives as close to the breech as possible.

I like Martin Beck not because he is entire but because he is full of holes, even as he hangs on precariously to an ethical sense of self - and his cases get solved almost behind his back, the pieces falling into place without his volition. (I'm now reading a crime novel by Jose Carlos Somoza, The Art of Murder, in which the ethics of the situation as well as the characters are one blurry mess. I'm hoping it won't arrange itself into ranks of black and white.)

Unknown said...

I absolutely, totally loved "The Vault". It was like a rollercoaster ride. Unputdownable. Emotionally draining too. The ending left me sad and just a bit wiser about the fact that people after all are people. But somehow I din't feel dissapointed with the turn of events. Somehow , somewhere I fully understood the reason why Ewert did what he did. Is that strange?

A very cool cat said...

Emotionally draining is about right - I think that's true of anything these guys write. 'Beast' was gripping too - but 'The Vault' left me absolutely shaken. Did I understand why Ewert did what he did? Maybe I did - but a man in his position should not have made the choice he did. Not him. Not then. But I was possibly even more betrayed by Sundberg's act - how could he, knowing what he knew? What right did they have to privilege one life over another - knowing what they did about the lives in question? I was very disappointed. If these were real people I knew, I wouldn't want to have too much more to do with them. But then, this is a cause I feel very strongly about.