Saturday, May 26, 2007



Moody Cat

A very long time ago, I promised readers posts on my cats. I never did get around to writing those posts for various reasons - but I've decided to rectify that by doing a post on our Moody Cat, the cat who adopted us soon after we got married. People who don't care all that much for cats/animals might want to skip what will definitely be a long, rambling, maudlin post.

I first saw Moody one winter afternoon - she'd got into the house somehow, and seeing me, a complete stranger, she was rushing helter-skelter to try and find a way out before I chased her or hurt her in any way. I opened the terrace door for her and stepped aside so she could have the space to run out, and hoped she'd visit again. She was on our terrace a couple more times, once with a rather goodlooking gold and white tom, who was clearly enamoured of her. Next time, I called out to her - she came closer, wary yet curious - and graciously lapped up the bowl of milk I held out to her as a friendly overture. She became a regular visitor from then on - and delighted to have a cat around again, we took to feeding her. She was astonishingly well-bred and well-mannered - she would wait patiently outside the door for us in the morning, drink her milk, allow herself to be petted, and then curl up in the shade. She never asked for anything more - and while we repeatedly urged her to come inside, she never did - till enough time had elapsed for her to trust us, approve of us, and decide that we really did want her. I remember the first time she came in - tail erect, she wandered around, peeping into the kitchen, sniffing around - and that night, after dinner, she jumped onto a chair in the foyer, curled up, and regarded us with a solemn happiness that clearly said - 'I like you. This is my home now.' And it was.

We soon discovered just how quirky and moody she was, especially when it came to food - hence the name - she'd drink a bowl of milk one day, sniff at it suspiciously the next; eat her fish and rice happily one day, and the next day refuse till we sat beside her and coaxed her into eating; discover a love for paneer and sweets, only to go off them just after I'd fixed a paneer meal for her. Moody became our child, companion, friend - we went fish shopping, got her her own plate, fussed after her, took care of the colds to which she was prone, chased away the horrid old tom who beat her up and stole her food, increased her protein intake once we realised she was pregnant - and in return Moody was affectionate, trusting, looking to us for love, shelter and protection; she was always there to greet us when we returned from work or elsewhere, there to curl up beside us while we were watching TV, to jump onto our bed and sleep alongside us at night.

She soon figured out that I loved her unconditionally, and would forgive any transgressions - she was simultaneously a pet, companion and almost a friend to me. With K (my husband), though, it was a different ball game altogether - she loved him, felt secure around him, yet feared him, because he was the authoritarian one. Quite a stormy relationship they had, too - Moody's naughty fits were always noticed and punished, whereupon she would sulk and look the other way whenever she caught sight of him, till he had cajoled her and grovelled enough to merit forgiveness (one of the funniest sights was that of K's rump sticking out while the rest of him was under the dining table, coaxing Moody out of her sulky fit with a fat pork frankfurter). When, however, she decided he had gone too far with the disciplinarian act, she'd punish him the best way she knew - by peeing copiously on whichever pair of his shoes was closest to hand, glaring defiantly all the while. As for the fireworks that usually followed - let's not go there.

Moody's babies, of course, were just as much our children- they took over our lives completely. Ariel, Aslan and Piglet will form the subject matter of another post - suffice to say that Moody was a very good mother, till they turned three months old, which is when she decided it was time they were weaned. After that she would content herself with sniffing them all over to make sure they were alive and healthy, and then smack them out of the way. They got a bit too much for her in the end, though, especially when they were over four months old and running all over the place, giving neither her nor us a moment's respite - she decided she couldn't share her space with them any longer, and left. She'd drop in initially a couple of times a week, but then stopped coming altogether. I, of course, promptly went out of my mind with worry and misery, till I accepted it as one of the things that regularly occur in the feline world. K spotted her around the place a couple of times - she seemed to be okay, he told me.

I still miss Moody. I loved her happy maiow of welcome when I'd return from work, loved her affectionate moments when she'd butt her head against my leg and purr contentedly as I stroked her soft, silky fur. She'd keep me company in the kitchen whenever it was my turn to cook - I'd sometimes sing to her (she was the only one who seemed to enjoy my very tuneless singing), or talk to her, and she'd respond with a twitch of an ear or the flick of a tail - but mostly we did our own thing in companionable silence, she either stretched out, grooming her already spotless fur, or sitting upright, paws folded beneath her, contemplating the mysteries of life in typical inscrutable cat-fashion. I remember one time when K was late returning home from work - attempts to reach him on his phone had been unsuccessful, and I was really worried. Moody stuck close to me throughout - when I was in the room she was sitting next to me, brilliant green eyes fixed on me, when I paced out on the terrace, she paced with me, occasionally rubbing herself against my leg. Even after I got her dinner ready she didn't leave my side - she only ate after K had returned, and she sensed my relief.

But the sweetest, and most incredibly touching thing she ever did - I was home alone one evening, and I'd ordered a chicken I intended to cook for dinner. When the delivery guy appeared, Moody went with me to answer the door. Once I'd opened the door, I went back inside to get the money, and on returning to the door, I saw Moody standing squarely in the entrance of the doorway, staring straight at the delivery boy, tail swishing from side to side slowly, dangerously. She was guarding the house, guarding me. My little Moody, who certainly would not have been a match for an adult male, had decided I needed protection, and had appointed herself guard-cat. I never loved her more than I did at that moment. Wherever she is now, I hope she's well, and safe - most of all, I hope she's found another family to love and be loved by, another family who's discovered she likes DMS milk, not Mother Diary, loves pork, not chicken, and loves having her head stroked and her cheeks scratched, but hates being picked up.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi.....

glanced thru ur movies and books section as well as ur latest post!! My darling cool cat...i do so agree with one of the comments that u have already received...u write and u write well...and u should indulge in it more often!!
This story (and story it is)is so simply told...i just love the k and ur moody's spats while the last paragraph so manipulates my emotions and makes me feel for ur cat almost as much as u do....though am not a big lover or anything of pets....they exist and so do i...pretty much unaware of each other's existence!

and yes ur post on HP-4 made me want to see the film and regret the fact that i missed it!!

smiles.......(i still havent read the fun part...that i had been asked to!!)

Thinking Cramps said...

FINALLY we get a post on one of your cats. or on one of your owners :) as someone who has usually preferred dogs, i have to say that this once i thought 'hmmm..cats can be cool too'! i'm sure she'll come visiting some day.

A very cool cat said...

Despite being Anonymous, I of course know exactly who you are - and you know I do! :) Thanks so much for the comment - and for the compliment on my writing! I'm glad you like the post - and if I've managed to get you on the path of caring for animals, that's an achievement! I've made a resolution to be more regular on my blog from now on, so do keep visiting.

And yes, read the fun post - it's the one right after this. Also, you'd better see HP 4 fast - the fifth one will be here in less than a couple of months!

A very cool cat said...

Hi Anamika, and thanks so much for the comment! See - I always told you cats were cool! But no, I don't think we'll be seeing Moody again - we shifted house last year, and she has no way of knowing where we are - and though it's not far, she can't leave her territory. The cats in this neighbourhood won't allow it. But she'd had experience of being on her own before she came to us, so chances are she'll be all right. And there are more cat posts to follow - wait till you hear about her (and our) three crazy kids! :D

Also, I'd like to put a link to your blog on mine - I hope that's okay?

Thinking Cramps said...

:) am honoured. thank you. and may i do the same?

will wait to read about your other cats...i want a pet :(

A very cool cat said...

Of course you may - and thank you! :)

And yes, you should get a pet - I think everyone should. All those cliches about the unconditional love and trust that only animals can give you is so true - animals make a world of difference to one's life.

And the three little ones are so crazy, and each of them is so different from the others, that I'll probably need to write three separate posts to do them justice!

Shantanu Dhankar said...

That was nice, May I say that this is your best post.I picked a puppy when I was in high school and he was with me for a good 9-10 months.Reading the post reminded me of him.Jeez!! now i'll begin to miss him

Afivesecondsbloghopperturnedblogger said...

It felt nice again to read about Moody. Though I had already heard most of it from you I totally enjoyed reading your post. Looking forward to read about the babies.

A very cool cat said...

Shantanu - thanks so much! :) This really is the first time I've written about someone I loved, who was part of the family, so I guess it would be quite different from all my other posts. And if you've had a pet, you would know exactly how that feels. So what happened to your puppy?

afivesecondbloghopper - yes, I do remember regaling you with Moody stories every single day - and I remember your asking me to write about her. I've of course left out most of the stories - if I were to write down everything little detail, it would fill a book! I'm quite looking forward to writing about the little ones, too - and you've met them, too, apart from hearing stories about them since the time they were a week old and Moody brought them home!

Anonymous said...

Moody reminds me of Ollie, a ginger cat that had adopted us in Delhi! She disappeared a few months later, only to be seen lounging about the local meet shops, lording it over the dogs over there!

But your post reminded me of Buttons, my dog, about whom, I guess I shall post some day myself. We had her for 16 years, and she loved paneer and hated to be picked up too!

I know that a lot of people who have never had pets often roll their eyes when they hear stories about the various wonderful things our pets do, but you have to know animals to realize that they have personalities. The guard-cat incident reminded me of a number of Buttons's doings!

A very cool cat said...

Payal - That story about Ollie had me grinning - trust a cat to find the best place to stay, and one where she got to bully dogs too! :D

And yes, you're right, you really need to be around animals to realise that they're all distinct individuals, much like humans. Moody's three kittens, for instance, are completely different from each other, both in the way they look, and in their personalities. Also, people often say that a lot of qualities we attribute to animals are just wishful thinking on our part - that we're foisting human behavioural traits on a species that's entirely different - but I have my doubts about that. I mean, some of the cats I've had could actually communicate with us!

Yes, do write about Buttons - I'd love to read that post.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I wrote "meet" when I meant "meat" *blush*...