Wednesday, February 13, 2008

When the lights go out


Kolkata has recently been hit by a spate of power cuts, some of them pretty massive. The papers are busy reporting on shortfalls and how many hours a day we can expect to be without electricity; the West Bengal Power Department even issued a huge notice in one of the leading dailies about the unfortunate power cuts, and how the inconvenience is deeply regretted – and what they are doing (or not) to rectify the situation. It’s true the these power cuts are annoying, to say the least – our increasing dependence on electricity means that even five minutes without power can throw our entire schedule out of gear. This is more so for families without an inverter, like mine. But here’s the weird thing – despite all this, I don’t mind the power cuts. In fact, in the evenings, I rather enjoy them.

K and I returned to Kolkata for keeps late last year. This is the first time he’s been here to stay on a long-term basis, and as for me, I’ve come home after 10 years. We’ve been at out parents’ place while we look for one of our own – and the crazy experiences we’ve had house-hunting in north Kolkata will form the subject of a later blog – and I must say it’s been rather nice being home again after so long, back with, as Gerald Durrell would say, ‘my family and other animals’. So what do power cuts have to do with it? Simply this – in the evenings, when there’s no electricity, and therefore no way for our laptops to function or the television switched on or any reading to be done, we all perforce get together in one room lit by a flickering candle, and talk.

We do talk a lot with each other in my family, share everyday events, jokes, problems – but it’s mostly in a scattered fashion. In the normal course of things the days are taken up by work, looking after all the various dogs and cats, watching TV – but when you cannot do any of that because the lights are out, you have no choice but to sit around talking to each other – and that’s the part I enjoy most about the enforced inactivity that these power cuts have been putting us through. There’s something cosy about it too, sitting grouped on one bed, the candle flame dancing eerily in the background, the cats all cuddled up on the bed, too, filling the room with the sound of their companionable purring – and talking, laughing, discussing issues, problems, work. Sometimes we can prevail upon my dad to tell us a few ghost stories from his endless repertoire, stories he always claims are real and experienced personally either by him, or someone he knows, with my mom’s disbelieving cackles of laughter puncturing what were to be the creepiest moments. Holiday plans have been made, health issues discussed, jokes exchanged, the greater family talked about endlessly, work stories swapped, kittens played with, legs pulled – all till the lights come back on. Then everyone disappears to do their own thing, the television is switched back on – and I for one feel a little disappointed. I know things won’t be quite so comfortable during power cuts in summer, but for now, I’m not complaining about the power department. It’s providing the family with a good opportunity to come together and enjoy being together every now and then.

9 comments:

Poonam Tanmayo said...

And sometimes, on a dark night, when you happen to look out, you may just find that all the city lights have taken a quantum leap to the sky above
hugs, love Poonam

Shantanu Dhankar said...

In my childhood, we had frequent power cuts too. I used to play Hide-n-Seek with my cronies at that time. At times, we exchanged T-shirts to bluff the seeker. It used to be hecka fun :)

How are you? Its really been a long time. I dont remember hearing anything from you after last October/November. Its good to have you back again in the virtual world.

A very cool cat said...

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Poonam - I know just what you mean - that's what happens when we happen to go our terrace during one of those power cuts! It's really beautiful.

Shantanu - yes, I know I've been missing, and that's really because at my parents place, which is where we are now, there's no broadband, and only a very slow and temperamental dial-up. So I'm hardly ever on the net, and go to Orkut, etc., very infrequently.

And I know those games - I played dark room, too, with my friends, and sometimes family, when I was small. What fun those games used to be! :)

Shilpi said...

Ha!ha!ha! - Wonderful post on multiple counts - one memory comes to my own mind...I was in Class 9 and had been 'trying't o memorize light and optics, and wasgetting quite frightened about the exam the following day. Aindrilla di - a very, very dear friend had come over and she said, "No, Nipa - you have to understand what it is." So saying she proceeded to explain what 'optics' was about - and the lights went out! No 'current'. loadshedding. And there we were Aindrilla di and I huddled over a khata and a Physics book - and oh, the joy when I saw the 'light'!
My favourite bit is where your dad speaks about the ghost stories and your mum 'cackles' with laughter....ooh - burst out laughing on that one!

A very cool cat said...

Hey Shilpi - good to have you back on my blog. Funny story, that, about your physics lessons. How well I remember huddling before candles and lanterns during school days, trying to figure out incomprehensible physics and maths text books!

And yes, it is funny to see my mom laughing at my dad's serious ghost stories. He remains quite unfazed though - after all, he's been dealing with such situations for over 35 years!

Shilpi said...

Hey Pots,
I'm sure that I would love listening to your dad's ghost tales. I most likely would listen to them with my eyes widening as wide as a couple of floating white saucers with black holes (he-he). Ghost stories hold me spellbound still - as much as they did when I was a kid of 3.
I remember my dad too has a 'ghost story' up his sleeve (and of course, he too is 'absolutely' serious about it). I have heard it 177 times at least (!) - but still haven't grown tired of it. In fact I badger him to tell me the story whenever I can. The story is about my grand-dad (my dad's dad), and a cow (well, two cows, actually. Only one cow was the 'ghostly' cow...). But to my dad's credit - after all these years, the story still remains the same. No dressing and no additional colouring. But oooh - it gives me the goose pricks every time I hear it!
Take care.
Shilpi
P.S: How come there aren't any new posts!

Afivesecondsbloghopperturnedblogger said...

Hey Pro, today i gained back access rights to ambroisa after several months of being banished and I came to your blog through hers ( I had quit checking yours since you seemed to have dissappeared - and i say that with some amount of resentment if i may.) Good to hear about you again. Your latest post reminds me a bit of jamshedpur ... perhaps its something to do with being in Calcutta or the east or our home ... i wonder if you'd feel the same when you were here in Delhi... does living there take you a little back in time? and i mean happily back in time...

A very cool cat said...

Shilpi - Lol - a ghostly cow?! That's something my dad's never been able to conjure up - his ghosts stay stubbornly human. But like you, I too love ghost stories, and still ove my dad's - and yes, his stories remain the same too, even after the 1000th retelling!

Mukta - My dear one, I know you must be absolutely mad with me, and it's justified. I know I've completely disappeared off the radar since coming here, and I'm very sorry for it. The lack of a net connection has a lot to do with it, and that fact that I still haven't got myself a mobile connection - was in a strange way quite enjoying being free of the tyrannies of a mobile phone! I barely go on Orkut, and am not in touch with a lot of people, most of whom will probably never speak to me again.

But it's not that I don't think of you - in fact, shall write you a very long mail soon and tell you all that's been happening - and once I get my phone connection, which should be soon, shall call you. Meanwhile, thanks for dropping by, and glad to know you enjoyed the post! Btw, how do I get back in Ambrosia's good books?

ambrosia said...

Heyyyyyyyy Cool Cat!! How glad I am to be visitng your blog again!! As you know I had removed my blog from public space and did not make an entry for more than a year! I am slowly getting back. In a few days I hope to catch up with the happenings on your blog :) Hope you are doing well, and of course hope to continue exchanging views through the blog. Take care! How are your cats?