Tuesday, June 09, 2009

On films

I must be among the very few not celebrating the return of Bollywood films to the multiplexes - I've been enjoying myself, actually, watching the good English films that the plexes were being forced to screen in the absence of suitable mindless fare - but now it'll be back to waiting impatiently for the odd good English film that pops in for about a week or so amid the gaggle of Hindi blockbusters. It wouldn't have been that big a deal had we still been in Delhi - most English films do make their way to the various PVRs, regardless of the presence of Bollywood; unfortunately, most Kolkata people, despite their many cultural and intellectual pretensions, are singularly unable to appreciate good films - for most, the 'best film' they have seen in 'a long time' is Dev D. English movies are, for most, merely an opportunity to make out in a semi-empty hall or, for those groups of badly-behaved, horny men so peculiar to Bengal, to catch sight of Kate Winslet's lovely legs.

But K and I've had a lovely time catching all the Oscar-nominated films, which begs the question - HOW did that very ordinary (at best) Slumdog Millionaire pip these fabulous films to the post? Granted, Danny Boyle did little else but lobby for nearly a year before the Academy Awards - but seriously, did everyone leave their brains behind when they cast their votes? Slumdog didn't have the depth, pathos, or the disturbing quality of The Reader; it had none of the joie de vivre, social relevance, energy or sheer brilliance that made up Milk; none of the slow narrative power, cinematography or wonder of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (and this despite Brad Pitt, who, despite special effects, resolutely remained Brad Pitt all the way through, allowing Benjamin not a chance to get under his skin); even Revolutionary Road, which proved disappointing (primarily because of all the expectations riding on it), had way more intensity and powerful moments than Slumdog could ever dream of. I guess all one can be thankful for is that they handed out the Oscars for acting to the people who truly deserved them.

But now it's back to sadly going over the movie listings and finding not a single one I'd like to see; growing ever more depressed at reviews of films that were long released but would never grace a theatre near me; asking hopefully for DVDs that take forever to appear in shops, if they ever do; and longing for that nice cheese popcorn that Inox serves.

But I suppose Star Trek will come to Cal theatres, right? I mean, even Cal people would want to catch Captain Kirk and Spock in action! And who doesn't love Wolverine?? And the Terminator - especially now that Christian Bale's playing John Connor? Right?

One can only hope.

7 comments:

COMPOS MENTIS said...

well, well, i do empathize with you. ever since the beginning of the new millennium, good english films have stopped coming to the calcutta theatres and more the woe for us who find typical bollywood fare unappetizing to say the least. calcutta, sadly has seen a dumbing down in the last 10 years, with every cinemawallah catering to the masses. it is no longer the intellectual and cultural bastion it used to be and the few who remain prefer not to share space with bollywood lovers.

COMPOS MENTIS said...

well, since you reminded me of doordarshan, as a comment on one of my posts, i would ask you to read the post 'it's dd time again' on my blog. that i am sure will ring a bell. it happened to be my second post as a blogger.

iz said...

Gosh yes. Slumdog. And what terrible casting! Guess it's true what they say-an Oscare film is not always a good film.

A very cool cat said...

CIITB - Thanks! And yes, being a fellow Calcuttan (who's been around in Cal longer than I have!) I knew you'd understand. What I can't understand is the dumbing down - I know that's what's happening worldwide, and in Cal, specifically, it has a lot to do with the fact that some of the brightest leave the city and never return; but seriously, there have got to be more people who enjoy good cinema! So where are they? And I refuse to believe that they all stay in snooty south Cal.

And yes, I will visit your blog and check out that post you mentioned.

iz - Thank you so much for reading, and for the comment! And you're right - Oscar winners are not necessarily good, leave alone the best - but I'm not sure any has been quite as bad as Slumdog.

COMPOS MENTIS said...

cool cat, i thought, and this might be blasphemous for many, 'titanic' was too crappy and terribly populist even for the oscars.it was as bad for me as 'slumdog'.

Unknown said...

Oh my, I saw Star Trek earlier this month and it was AMAZING! I never thought I'd see another actor playing Spock and like him! :-)

A very cool cat said...

CIITB, I hated 'Titanic' too. Especially that soppy, mushy soundtrack.

PD, Star Trek seems to have given Cal a miss :( :( Am very sad - I've read great reviews, and yes, I do believe Zachary Quinto did a fabulous job. It must have been quite a change from his boring Sylar act!

Caught Terminator Salvation and Wolverine yesterday, back to back - Terminator sucked, big time, except for Sam Worthington, who was the only watchable part of the film; but I quite enjoyed Wolverine. They messed about with the mythology, but it was still fun.