Wednesday, June 10, 2009

J.R.R. Tolkein, The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun

This is the latest marvellous offering from Christopher Tolkein - two unpublished and unknown poems written by J.R.R. Tolkein sometime in the 1930s that were based on a corpus of poetry called the Poetic Edda, dealing with Nordic mythology. The poems are flanked by detailed commentaries written by Christopher Tolkein, and are preceded by an Introduction by J.R.R. Tolkein himself, taken from a lecture he delivered to the English faculty at Oxford University, titled 'The Elder Edda', which includes a fascinating discussion on how, as pagan religions in Scandinavia and Iceland gave way to Christianity, the wonderful world of old Norse mythology and folklore died out, coming to exist merely as disjointed fragments of what was once a rich oral tradition.

Lovers of fantasy fiction who are ardent admirers of Tolkein's works will love this, not least because it sheds a lot of light on the etymological and creative origins of Middle Earth, and some of it's much-loved characters. I just reviewed this book for BusinessWorld online, on their books site, so shall desist from rambling on here; but those interested in reading my review can visit the site at http://www.bwbooks.in/index.php/book_reviews/BOOK-REVIEW-The-Legend-Of-Sigurd-And-Gudrun.html.

And those of you nice enough to read the review, do come back and let me know what you thought!

3 comments:

Thinking Cramps said...

Hey Pro...excellent review - tight, focused, and compelling. I enjoyed the review. The little trivia gleaned from the commentary in the book, which you shared with readers in the review, felt like a key to unlocking the entire Lord of the Rings world. I want to read this book now, and I want to re-read the 4 books. Thanks...

A very cool cat said...

Thanks so much! :) Really glad you read it, and that you let me know what you thought. Yep, it's a great book - in fact, I want to read it again, this time leisurely, without thoughts of reviews and deadlines cluttering up my thoughts! And you'd probably understand the technical aspects of poetry - the metre, rhythm, etc. - much more than I did.

Btw, been looking for you on Facebook - Vinny says you're on her list, but can't find you anywhere!

Thinking Cramps said...

Nah, I don't know that much about poetry. And, you really must read it without any pressure of how you are going to describe it to people. I think then we start worrying too much about pinning down our feelings and reactions to what we are reading, rather than just soaking it up at a gentle pace.
I changed my privacy settings on FB - have sent you a message after reading this comment!